The year has started out to be a little emotionally taxing...January 4 marked the 20 year anniversary of Grandpa Gardners death, while serving a mission in India. When I think of my grandpa, I still feel like the little girl waiting at the top of the street with my brothers and sisters. As soon as the red Suburban rounded the corner, we would take off running for home. Grandpa would humor us a bit and drive slow for a minute, but darn! we never did beat them. When I think of my grandpa I think of gumballs, squirrel stories, rib counting, cabin trips, Elvira, Charliegoogenheimer, and horsie rides --"dee dee dilly dee!" I miss my Grandpa!
On January 6, another little spirit from heaven joined our (extended) family. My nephew, Tanner John, is Lisa and Robbie's #3! We hear that Katelyn is being nice to him most of the time, and that Robert sometimes pokes at his eyes. I wish I were there to hold that chubby little guy and get my fix of new baby smell -- and then hand him back to his mother when he cries.
The comforting teachings of the plan of salvation become so poignant when spirits very nearly cross paths as they pass through the veil. On January 20, my sweet cousin, Tami, lost her two-year old, Joy, to a sudden accute respiratory infection. Who would have thought a little angel, with an earthly life that seems much too short, could have touched so many lives?
And of course, today we buried our dear prophet. When a picture of President Hinkley came on the TV, Brittney said, "Hey! Gordon B. Hinkley, I know that guy!" President Hinkley, we love you, we will miss you, and feel so blessed to have known you!
Lots of complicated emotions for just one month. Here's hoping the rest of the year is a little more routine...

4 comments:
Yeah for blogging. I need to do better. January was definately full of ups and downs. I really hope the rest of the year is much more uneventful.
I am so happy you're blogging. I am so glad I have another name to put on my stalking...er blogging list. I have thought a lot about Grandpa too. I can't believe it was 20 years ago.
Yay Renae! I knew you'd cave eventually=) So happy to hear about you more often!
Kim P
Your new nephew would love it for you to come hold him.
Post a Comment