Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mid America Pipe Plant Tour

On Wednesday afternoon I flew to Kansas City, Missouri to tour a steel pipe plant in a small town called Scammon, Kansas. We drove about 2 hours to a town called Pittsburg, KS to spend the night. Then drove another 30 minutes the next day to the plant in Scammon. It was an interesting tour. The plant owner and workers went out of their way to show us all that they do. In the picture above I am standing in front of a 144-inch diameter pipe that is going to a water treatment plant in upstate New York. The struts inside the pipe are temporary to provide support while transporting and moving the pipe. These pipes are about 40-feet long and have a "spigot" at one end and a "bell" at the other end. They connect every joint of pipe they make in the plant to make sure everything fits properly before sending it to the job site. They showed us how they do this with two sections of this 144-inch diameter pipe. It was a fun little trip, but I'm glad to be back home with my family.

2 comments:

Mom said...

That is a BIG pipe! I can't imagine it being filled with water. Glad you are home!

Robyn Carr said...

Boy you really do love your pipes and sludge etc. Wish you could come here and teach them how to make the water treatment plants not stink- pee yew! It is terrible to drive by one. The kids call it the stinky place!