I can still hear my grandfather's voice "on this day in history...." Grandpa was a radio man with a deep booming voice and he always had a historical tidbit or piece of trivia to share. Now it's my turn...
"On this day in history," 65 years ago, my Grandma and Grandpa Burns were married.
I love the stories of their courtship and early married life. It makes me feel like I am reading an old romance novel. Grandma and Grandpa met while he was working as a bell hop in a hotel. Grandma stayed at the hotel once while she was visiting her sister who worked there as a waitress. Grandma skipped school and rode her bike 17 miles one time just to see him. When they were married, Grandpa's mom didn't put the announcement in the local paper because she was embarrassed that her son had married a Mormon. After they were married they made their home in Gooding, Idaho, but Grandpa was in electronics school for the Navy in Logan. Grandpa would hitchike back and forth whenever he had a break. Because Grandpa was in the Navy, Grandma and Grandpa lived in many places all over the country before they settled their family in Los Alamos, New Mexico where Grandpa owned a raido station.
I have lots of memories of visiting my Grandparents in Los Alamos. Their house backed up against a forest we used to explore. We thought we were really brave when we went "all the way to the river." The river was really just a small creek, and I'm sure it wasn't very far, but it was exciting to us.
I remember that Grandma was always baking. She made wonderfully soft Cinnamon Rolls and little tiny Chocolate Chew cookies with powdered sugar on top. I can remember sitting at the counter and watching her fingers work the dough for the Cinnamon Rolls, and whenever I make Chocolate Chews, I like to make them little, like Grandma did. It makes me think of her. We used to love to visit the radio station, especially when Grandpa was there. Sometimes he would let us sit in his big chair and talk into the microphone. One time he even recorded us saying "This is KRSN!" and we were so excited when he played it on the radio. One of my favorite memories of my Grandpa is of riding in his spotlight truck while he belted out "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Even now whenever I hear that song the tears flow and it is Grandpa's beautiful baritone I hear singing "Glory, glory, hallelujah!"
It has been 12 years since Grandma died, and nearly 20 since Grandpa left us. I like to think they are celebrating today together, or maybe they are too busy to be bothered with such earthly things. Anyhow, we love you! We miss you! and Happy Anniversery!



8 comments:
What beautiful memories of your grandparents...Thanks for sharing the memories with us.
Grammie
Oh I love these memories!! I wish Grandma's earthyly green thumb were around to help me with my plants.
I love the picture of your Grandpa in the NAVY uniform! What great memories. I just lost my Grandpa, so it made me a little teary to read this.
Renae- awesome story and you tell it so well. I will have to get the chocolate chew recipe- they sound yummy!
I love grandmas cinnamon rolls- from Mother Hen :)
I didn't know all the details so I am glad you posted about that :)
I still remember hiking to the water tower and walking down to Pinnochio (sp?) Park--and who could ever forget the smell inside Pinnochio and the twisty slide! Even though I was young, I still remember feeling like I wanted to shower after going inside the steps to the slide!
It is so great for me to hear those little tidbits about grandma and grandpa that I didn't know. I love to hear others memories about them, because I was so young and don't have to many of my own. Thanks for sharing yours. -Sarah
Post a Comment