Friday, July 18, 2008

The Happy(?) Camper

It's been a bit crazy around here (even more so than usual.) Less than a week after our trip to Florida, we packed up again and headed up beautiful Provo Canyon for a family reunion at Aspen Grove. (I haven't gotten it together enough to download pictures yet, so that is another post for another day.) Just a few days after returning, we packed up again...Brandon was off for a week at Clear Creek Fifth Grade Camp, the girls got to spend a few days with Grammie and Grampie (came home a bit spoiled, I should add,) and JR and Mike held down the fort (extra thanks to Grandma Gardner for keeping JR busy and happy while Mike was at work) while I was off adventuring at Girls Camp!

I'm not much of a camper, but the weather was perfect, our campsite beautiful, and if I had to be camping with a bunch of women and girls, I could not have picked a better group. I get to serve in the Young Women's program with very diverse and wonderful women, some of whom I consider among my very best friends. The cute Young Women we get to work with are enthusiastic and cooperative and most of the time eager to help and show kindness. We did have a little drama, especially with the Beehives (12-13 year old girls..."well then I'm not sleeping by you!" --can't you just hear it?) And we had some attitude issues --don't worry, I know how to crack the whip. We also had some teaching moments. My favorite was when I was supervising (or whipcracking--didn't I say we had some attitude problems?) while the Beehives cleaned the bathrooms. I walked in to find one of my cute little 12-year olds cleaning the sink... with the toilet brush. Needless to say, by the time the teaching moment was over, that was the cleanest sink the camp had ever seen, and we were in need of a new bottle of disinfectant (that is where I brush my teeth, for goodness sake!!)

It was lots of work (should I say it again?!) and tonight I am sunburned and exhausted. I am so happy to be home...grateful to have all my little chicks gathered and tucked safely in their beds...grateful to snuggle into my husband's chest and to sleep in my own bed (did I mention I had a long, long nap this afternoon?) But I love these Young Women and am grateful for the opportunity to serve... and even to camp... with them.

3 comments:

Joe and Julianne said...

Welcome Home!!! Love Girls Camp and love it even more when it is over :)

robertandsharon said...

You deserve a big, long rest for a week or two after your hectic and busy summer so far. Thanks for letting us spoil the girls and have fun with them.
Grammie and Grampie

Robyn Carr said...

Yeah- you made it! I was so bummed to only get 2 days of girls camp this year- but only too happy to miss the drama of the lice!! And those naps after camp are the best ever!