Sunday, October 5, 2008

Wood Badge Ceremony


On Friday, September 26th, we had the ceremony to receive our beads for Wood Badge. The ceremony was held at our Stake Camp, Mutual Dell, located in American Fork Canyon. This is also the location where we attended Wood Badge. It was a family event with dinner and the presentation. The photo on the right is Bruce Harper, our Senior Patrol Leader, after I have received my beads and neckerchief. On the right is President Jim Trent, our Patrol Leader of the Eagle Patrol, presenting me with my neckerchief. The patch in the center is the Utah National Parks Council patch for members of the Eagle Patrol who have completed Wood Badge - It is the only place on the uniform that shows I am a member of the Eagle Patrol for Woodbadge.

I know how many people feel about scouting and the church - how hard it is to run and get people and leaders involved. And that is the mistake of many parents - NOT getting involved. It is sad to see boys who do not have fathers involved or who are too busy for their boys. I know a lot of heartache could be prevented if fathers spent more time with their children, especially their sons. Boys love camping, fishing, and building fires. I am grateful to have spent time this summer with JR and Brandon doing what they, and I, love.

The purpose of scouting is not to get boys to earn their Eagle. The purpose is to build boys into men, leaders of men, to lead God's children home - as missionaries, as fathers, as servants of the Lord to work their way home.

I used to be an Eagle
And a good old Eagle too,
But now I've finished Eagling,
I don't know what to do.
I'm growing old and feeble,
And I can Eagle no more,
So I'm going to work my ticket if I can.
Back to Gilwell, Happy Land;
I'm going to work my ticket if I can.

5 comments:

Renae said...

it's official. I'm married to a super scouter.

Love you sweetie!

Laura said...

Always be prepared!

Sharon said...

Way to go Mike!!

Joe and Julianne said...

YEAH Mike! That is quite the accomplishment.

robertandsharon said...

Mikey, you make a mother proud!!

Love from your mom